On Oct 4, 2012, at 1:33 PM, "Schweiss, Chip" <c...@innovates.com> wrote:

> Again thanks for the input and clarifications.
>
> I would like to clarify the numbers I was talking about with ZiL performance
> specs I was seeing talked about on other forums.   Right now I'm getting
> streaming performance of sync writes at about 1 Gbit/S.   My target is closer
> to 10Gbit/S.   If I get to build it this system, it will house a decent size
> VMware NFS storage w/ 200+ VMs, which will be dual connected via 10Gbe.
> This is all medical imaging research.  We move data around by the TB and fast
> streaming is imperative.
>
> On the system I've been testing with is 10Gbe connected and I have about 50
> VMs running very happily, and haven't yet found my random I/O limit. However
> every time, I storage vMotion a handful of additional VMs, the ZIL seems to
> max out it's writing speed to the SSDs and random I/O also suffers.   With
> out the SSD ZIL, random I/O is very poor.   I will be doing some testing with
> sync=off, tomorrow and see how things perform.
>
> If anyone can testify to a ZIL device(s) that can keep up with 10GBe or more
> streaming synchronous writes please let me know.

Quick datapoint, with qty 3 ZeusRAMs as striped slog, we could push 1.3
GBytes/sec of
storage vmotion on a relatively modest system. To sustain that sort of thing
often requires
full system-level tuning and proper systems engineering design. Fortunately,
people
tend to not do storage vmotion on a continuous basis.
 -- richard

--

richard.ell...@richardelling.com
+1-760-896-4422