On 02/16/2013 10:47 PM, James C. McPherson wrote:
> On 17/02/13 06:54 AM, Sašo Kiselkov wrote:
>> On 02/16/2013 09:49 PM, John D Groenveld wrote:
>>> Boot with kernel debugger so you can see the panic.
>>
>> Sadly, though, without access to the source code, all he do can at that
>> point is log a support ticket with Oracle (assuming he has paid his
>> support fees) and hope it will get picked up by somebody there. People
>> on this list have few, if any ways of helping out.
>
> You're missing the point. Booting with kmdb enabled
> is The Way(tm) to get anything remotely resembling
> a paused screen so you can see what the message is.
>
> Whether that message winds up being something you need
> to talk with a Oracle about is entirely different.

He got a kernel panic on a completely legitimate operation (booting with
one half of the root mirror faulted). There's a good chance that the
only thing he'll see is something like BAD TRAP and a stack trace.
Without source, that's where the investigation ends.

> The OP mentioned that he was running S11 Express, for
> which, iirc, you can dig through source on a non-Oracle
> site and investigate.

And once he's found the problem, what then? Can he build a new ZFS
kernel module? Can he submit a patch?

> Really, though, just adding
>
> -k
>
> to the kernel$ line in the grub menu prior to booting
> should be enough for him to make significant progress.

If by "significant progress" you mean sending a stack trace to Oracle,
then yes.

Look I'm not accusing you or anybody else for not trying to help - there
are some wonderful people around here who both care deeply for their
users and are proud of their work. I fully applaud that stance.
All I'm doing is just pointing out the facts of the matter - take from
that what you will.

Cheers,
--
Saso