So, I have discovered a *couple* of unexpected problems.
At first, I thought it would be nice to split my HD into 2 partitions, use the
2nd partition for zpool, and use vmdk wrapper around a zvol raw device.  So I
started partitioning my HD.  As it turns out, there's a bug in diskutility...
As long as you partition your hard drive and *format* the second partition with
hfs+, then it works very smoothly. But then I couldn't find any way to dismount
the second partition (there is no eject) ... If I go back, I think maybe I'll
figure it out, but I didn't try too hard ... I resized back to normal, and then
split again, selecting the "Empty Space" option for the second partition.  Bad
idea.  Diskutillity horked the partition tables, and I had to restore from time
machine.  I thought maybe it was just a fluke, so I repeated the whole process
a second time ... try to split disk, try to make the second half "Free Space"
and forced to restore system.

Lesson learned. Don't try to create an unused partition on the mac HD.

So then I just created one big honking file via "dd" and used it for zpool
store.  Tried to create zvol.  Unfortunately zevo doesn't do zvol.

Ok, no problem.  Windows can run NTFS inside a vmdk file inside a zfs
filesystem inside an hfs+ file inside the hfs+ filesystem.  (Yuk.)  But it
works.

Unfortunately, because it's a file in the backend, zevo doesn't find the pool
on reboot.  It doesn't seem to do the equivalent of a zpool.cache.  I've asked
a question in their support forum to see if there's some way to solve that
problem, but I don't know yet.

Tim, Simon, Volker, Chris, and Erik - How do you use it?
I am making the informed guess, that you're using it primarily on non-laptops,
which have second hard drives, and you're giving the entire disk to the zpool.
Right?