Camille, that's a very good question. Largest cluster I've heard about
is 10k sessions.

Jeremy - largest I've ever tested was a 3 server cluster with ~500
sessions. Each session created 10k znodes (100bytes each znode) and
set 5 watches on each. So 5 million znodes and 25million watches. I
then had the sessions delete the znodes and looked for the
notifications. They were processed by the clients quite quickly (order
of seconds) iirc. Note: this required some GC tuning on the servers to
operate correctly (in particular cms and incremental gc was turned on
and sufficient memory was allocated for the heaps).

here's a similar test setup I used:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper/ServiceLatencyOverview
this is the latency tester tool
https://github.com/phunt/zk-smoketest