is_unrecoverable() means exactly that: the session is toast. nothing you do will get it back.

zookeeper_init is almost never used with a non-null client_id. the main use case for it is crash recovery. i've rarely seen it used, but you can start a session, save off the client_id to disk, create ephemerals etc., then if your program crashes, you can restart and recover the session and pick back up where you left off. in this case we don't worry about the session being closed by the previous instance of the program because it crashed. it's pretty tricky to use.

ben