First of all, under any circustance, DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING TO THE DAMAGED DRIVE, and much less install an application or OS into it. Every time something is written to a damaged drive, the probability of recovering its previous content gets lower.

Plug another hard drive to your 6100 and install into it an OS with support of HFS+ (OS 8.1 or later - your OS 9.1 will do the trick). Then, connect the old hard drive and see if you can access it's contents. If the drive doesn't mount, or if you can't access the files, get a *recent* version of Norton Utilities (make sure it supports HFS+!) and try to repair the drive. Once you have access to the files, copy them into another hard drive, and format the drive - you never know the size of the damage, and an apparent good partition may give you some headaches later.

If you have two drives of exactly the same size, you can make a sector-by-sector duplicate of the damaged one and try to repair the copy. That way, if an utility messes it even more, you can restore the original data, so you can try different disk repair tools.

You may also be able to use a "disk scan" utility able to extract the data from a damaged unit without trying to fix it. They work by brute-force scaning all the disk surface searching for files and folders, and then try to reconstruct the folder tree in order to let you copy the data to another disk. I know of excelent utilities of these kind for the PC (in my experience, GetDataBack is a lot better than standard "fix" utilities - it allways restores almost 100% of data even on badly damaged partitions with broken filesystem structures or bad sectors!), but can't tell you about one of these for the Mac. Anyway, there should be something simmilar...

Greetings,

Antonio Rodríguez (Grijan)
<ftp://grijan.cjb.net:21000/>

NODEraser escribió:

I have a PowerMac 6100/66 with a G3/266 upgrade and OS 9.1, that I use
as a "master" fileserver and research machine while I'm working on my
other, older Macs. I have a couple hundred megabytes of software on
there that I'd rather not loose (a lot of software when we're talking
system 6 and 7). Recently, being the complete idiot I am, I ran an
older version of Norton utilities on the harddrive and it "fixed" it
for me. Unfortunately, this older version of Norton thinks HFS+ is an
error that needs to be fixed. And, it did just that.

Now, I have to boot from the CD or a floppy, and I get an error -127
when I try and mount my hard disk using Drive Setup. Is there a way I
can at least get to my files to copy them safely somewhere else before
having to re-initialize? It would not be the end of the world if I
could not recover those files, but it would absolutely suck because
the original drives/disks that some of the software came on are gone
or broken.

Any help in recovering these files would be appreciated. I have
another Mac (albeit an SE/30) with the same size hard drive that I can
transfer everything via Network to, but I need to be able to access
the files on the PowerMac first.

 --> AOL users, remove "mailto:";
Send list messages to:   <mailto:1st-powermacs@mail.maclaunch.com>
To unsubscribe, email:   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For digest mode, email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subscription questions:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
List archive:            <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/1st-powermacs/>

iPod Accessories for Less
at 1-800-iPOD.COM
Fast Delivery, Low Price, Good Deal