In a message dated 8/11/00 8:39:52 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I'm reminded here of something Brian Eno (I think) said. It was 'writing

about

music is like dancing about architecture'. Also, Wittgenstein said 'of that

which we cannot speak, we must pass over in silence'. >>

The word is ineffable.

I liked "More Brilliant than the Sun" by Kodwo Eshun, but as a work of
literature, NOT as an informative work describing music.

I don't buy the Eno  -  'writing about music is like dancing about
architecture' line.

Most writers about techno and dance music do not have the technical musical
skill to write about the  music.   Their writings tend to be personal
reactions and psychological impressions rather that an accurate description
of the music, but that's what their readers usually want  - personal
reactions and psychological impressions.    Writing about music is difficult
but it can be done.

mediadrome