People refuse to meet Derrick May alone? That’s weird. I interviewed him on
Valentines Day quite a few years ago at a coffee shop in Ann Arbor. He
wanted to come out there. And then, one Movement Festival weekend a while
ago, I met with him and a bunch of other men at Transmat to talk about my
research and writing and maybe a collaboration. I had long hair then.
Nobody messed with me. And then, while I was finishing my dissertation on
Detroit house and techno, I worked at Whole Foods and bagged Derrick May’s
groceries a surprising number of times, both in Ann Arbor and West
Bloomfield. He was always a sweetie pie. And, equally as interesting, at
the Detroit Whole Foods, I was a cashier for the lady from Adult. It was
wonderful.

Denise

--
Denise Dalphond, Ph. D.