----- Original Message -----
From: "atomly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2001 7:15 PM
Subject: Re: [313] off topic DEMF comment.

> [matt hellige <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
> > how much do you know about the beginnings of and the relationships
between
> > the people who organized lollapalooza, for example?
>
> I know that, much like DEMF, it was started by somebody who was part of
> the underground music scene and had good knowledge of what music to put
> on the lineup (Perry Farrell).  A few years later, Perry was gone and
> Metallica was headlining.
>
> It seems that the formula for every major festival has been to get some
> artist to be the figurehead for it (Perry for Lollapalooza, Ozzy for
> Ozzfest, Sarah McLachlan for Lilith Fair, etc.)

I was just thinking the same thing - with one exception, South by Southwest.
Notably, two of their sponsors are Miller Lite and Jim Beam, with Nextel
being the closest thing to a corporate giant. South By Southwest is pretty
unique in every respect though. I wonder, does anyone recall if it was
perverted at all when grunge took off?

Tristan
http://ampcast.com/phonopsia <- Music
http://phonopsia.tripod.com <- Mixes, pics, thought, travelogue & info