I would just like to see techno to have enough awareness and support among
the general populace that it's a) taken seriously as a musical form b) gains
a large enough audience to support events in places other than major cities.

Not only has techno never really entered the pop music scene in the US,
techno and dance music seems to be dying on the vine out here in the
hinterlands.  A couple of years ago we could bring out prominent Detroit
and Chicago artists and not lose our shirts. No more. I don't think Iowa
is unique, either.  Factors like the putrid state of the US Economy,
Anti-rave laws, changing tastes, have made it harder to find an audience
for the music.