i think with a couple of exceptions (that don't readily come to mind) my
taste in club design is a lot like my fashion taste.  two types entice me:

1.  very spare.  no glaring ads.  open space.  cubes to dance on top of,
or sit on.  hardwood floors.  small juice bar.  high ceilings.  clean.

the club that really nailed this down for me was the music institute.  the
johanson gallery is really barebones too.

2.  lush.  plush lounging area with couches, and loveseats.  paintings
adorning the walls.  colored lights to denote a warm tone.  lots of clingy
fabric.

there was a coffee bar in ann arbor that was used for parties--Not Just
Another Cafe i think.  gorgeous.  there's an old gothic church now club
here in st.  louis called THE KASTLE that tries to mix both 1 and 2 to
success.

peace
lks