Doug,
This option is so appealing - storing large data chunks outside of the
actual data file. I tried it briefly in v13 something as well.  I abandoned
it for two reasons. First, there's no option to exclude these files from
the backup. Second I wasn't confident about maintaining the links to the
external files within 4D if something got moved externally.

In my case I was storing PDFs and photos (lots and lots of photos) so it
made sense to keep them outside the data file (current data file is ~2.25
gigs, images and PDFs are ~100 gigs). The first time I tried that scheme
and then ran the backup it took a long time because it backed up everything
and my disk space was disappearing.

I'm trying it again in v15 with some image thumbnails that would be stored
in the datafile anyway. I would be nice to be able to exclude selected
fields with external data from backup.

Really sucks that stuff got corrupted. FWIW I seem to recall that if you
did make that change you wanted to loop through all the records and 'touch'
them to force a re-save. Cold comfort.

--
Kirk Brooks
San Francisco, CA