Hi Jim,

Sorry if this this is not a very helpful answer for you, but ..

I think it isn't a very good idea to have a button (in an email or whatever)
the user have to press and nothing happens immediately. Some seconds, minutes,
hours later the user gets the answer, usually he doesn't realize what's going
on, I think. And opening and closing a browser window immediately maybe will
lead to calls to the IT department: "I think my workstation is infected"

A suggestion: The browser window will open with a short message, informing the
user that he will get an acknowledgment email later. The email is for the
records and contains additional information.

But maybe I'm totally wrong with these advices because I don't know your exact
use case, the context and so on ... So these are only my 2 cents

Regards
Lutz