David:

You could very well be right. I don’t get to see behind the curtain to have
even a hint.

It is the same with all aspects of a company. Jonoke became ISO 9001 certified,
and we became better each year in communication with our users. Because the
person at the top thought these things were a priority and put the resources in
place. We automated a lot of communication, got the company culture moved a
long ways to living ISO 9001. We were far from perfect, but we were better and
better each year.

I found the programmers (on the whole) are very much against documentation.
Trying to get them to write it was near impossible. I therefore had to
compromise and hire some quasi technical people that would sit with the
programmers as they needed and would write up the manual. To finish the loop
though, I needed to get the programmer to seriously review the documentation
and provide feedback until it was right. Some programmers did ok with this, but
some were still against doing the work.

I think 4D does put effort into documentation. The manuals are there for each
new release (that is a great start). The BLOGs are great pieces to get
introduced to a new feature. I am amazed at the graphics they add into the
BLOGs (maybe I am simple). The web page too. So there is effort and money being
put in.

We just want more… (sounds like my customers).

Jody Bevan
ARGUS Productions Inc.
Developer

Argus Productions Inc. <https://www.facebook.com/ArgusProductions/>