On Feb 7, 2018, at 4:50 PM, Timothy Penner wrote:

>> Normally a stored procedure is limited to "core 0" along with anything else
>> that can't be multithreaded. If you could do your task in a preemptive
>> worker or a SQL process you'd probably get better response time from your
>> clients.
>
> Don't forget that a stored procedure (a process started with the NEW PROCESS
> command) can also be preemptive if the method called by NEW PROCESS has the
> preemptive property checked.

And this is something many of us have been wanting for a long time. The ability
to have each Stored Procedure running on 4D Server be a preemptive process so
that it cannot hog the CPU. Then my comment about putting using DELAY PROCESS
to throttle down Stored Procedures would not be necessary. The Stored Procedure
would get managed by the operating system and its load would spread out over
all cores on the CPU. Hence it would not have such a big impact on end user
experience. Right?

One more question. Do triggers running on 4D Server also benefit from this? Can
they all run as preemptive processes? If so, is this something that happens
automatically? If you just have some code in a trigger, does it run
preemptively or cooperatively? Or do you have to call a method from the trigger
that is set to run preemptive to get this? I’ve never understood exactly how
this works in regards to triggers.

Tim

Tim Nevels
timnev...@mac.com <mailto:timnev...@mac.com>