Tim,

Nice writeup! Makes me sorry that I couldn't fit in time to attend the Summit
this year.

I'll toss in a bit of history - "object" databases. It was a concept that kind
of flared up back in the 90s but didn't get any market traction.

For instance, way back when I was working at Motorola, we tried to use an
object database called O2 (example at
http://www.db.ucsd.edu/static/cse132b-sp01/o2.pdf) to track requirements. The
requirements for cellular system features were done in the hierarchical milspec
fashion of 1.1.2, 1.1.2.1, 1.1.2.2, etc. so it seemed that a database with
inheritance, etc. would fit. Ah well, another fine idea tried before its time -
the user interface and development platform was all a bunch of command line
stuff and it was clumsy trying to get it to connect to all the other bits and
pieces of the organization. I ended up throwing together a 4D system, serve it
to some web pages and declaring victory.

Fast forward, I _love_ the idea of dot notation. This seems like 4D could be
getting back to its sweet spot of being able to generate an application/web
app/client server db by small groups or single developers. Trying to build an
integrated app using one (usually many cobbled together) of the javascript
frameworks for android/ios/electron to get the full combination of platforms
desired along with all of the fun, maybe-secure, maybe-maintained, node
libraries and who knows what else dependencies is a ticket to a failed business
plan.

Tom Swenson

On 4/9/18, 10:06 AM, "4D_Tech on behalf of Tim Nevels via 4D_Tech"