[JPR]

Hi Tim,

> JPR does monitor the list, maybe he knows more about this and could comment.
Yes Tim, this is true, I do monitor this list.

So do not hesitate to put 'JPR' in your message when you have questions still
pending after some weeks of reflexion... When I don't have the answer, I have a
reference on the answer...

> SQL views are super powerful, but they are so “old school”.
This is true. It has the smell of the Proust's madeleine, it reminds me of my
old VT100 console ;-)

More seriously, here are some answers:

- SQL is not going to be killed in 4D, at least for a long long time.

- This is true that ORDA replaces SQL in many places like accessing data
without changing the current selection, or performing complex JOINs. In most of
the cases (and specially in about 100% of the cases I have personally seen) SQL
can be replaced by ORDA and the result is a huge improvement of performances.

- But we know also that a lot of developers are more familiar with SQL syntax,
that a huge number of SQL examples are available on the net, and other good
reasons like 'If it works, don't touch it'.

- There is still a big need to access to SQL databases from 4D, and until ORDA
will give you these access under the Datastore concept, SQL will still be
needed.

> I’m not sure exactly how the custom data classes will work or be implemented
> in 4D.
I'm not sure neither, but I've used Wakanda...

> naming relations is needed to take make the code readable.
Laurent's suggestion is to export the structure in XML, modify all the relation
names in the text file, and reimport the structure as XML. It will be faster
than to go across the complete graphical structure representation.

> The iOS app will download data from 4D Server and put it into a local store
> on the iPhone. You can browse the data but not change it
Oh developers of little faith! Don't you remember that this is not even the
version 1.0...

> Yes, using for/in (for/each? can’t remember) will be nice, when we have
> Entities and maybe even custom classes we can define. It would have been nice
> to have a variation that iterates through the keys/values when C_OBJECT was
> added to the language.
Yes it would have been nice! And it would have been tremendously nice to get
ORDA in early 90s! Just kidding...

I'm as impatient as you are to get much more right now or even yesterday, but
good things take time...

> It’s nice to finally see progress, but it’s sad that 25 years ago, 4D was 5
> years ahead of most other options, and now it is 10-15 years behind.
I'm not sure 4D is 10-15 years behind.
First of all, 4D is still here and evolving fast, while I cannot make a list of
products existing 10-15 years behind, and still existing today.
Then, what means 10-15 years behind ? Behind what ? How many technologies have
we seen since 1984, which have just vanished in the oblivion 10 years after?
How many time did I heard that "JQuery is the future" or "Java will scrap all
other languages" or "No responsive without Bootstrap" or "Javascript has no
future, for Microsoft doesn't like it" and thousand other predictions like this?

Personally, I prefer a slower introduction of a new language, keeping the
compatibility at its higher level, than rapid changes like Angular, which
obliges you to rewrite a lot of code between each new version.

Predictions are difficult, especially when they concern the future...

I just hope that you liked what you have seen, and I would like to thank all
the attendees to this first new training for their flawless attention and their
patience regarding the inevitable mistakes of a beta-version training on a
beta-version product...

My very best,

JPR