On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 1:57 PM Jeffrey Kain via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> Does it make sense for most triggers? Usually you want to know for sure
> that code in a trigger has completed before doing anything else in the
> table/process, which is kind of the opposite of a preemptive thread.

Jeff,

I believe it should provide some speed improvement (to make triggers
preemptive.) IF they are not, triggers are executed sequentially at server,
one trigger executed after another. If they are preemptive, each trigger
can get their own preemptive thread, with several triggers executed (on
server) in parallel. However, disk speed as main bottleneck will not be
affected by this, so you can see significant or zero improvement.

That does not mess with order execution, triggers are started after client
calls SAVE RECORD and only after trigger finishes - does not matter if in
preemptive or cooperative thread - execution on client moves to next line.

> I suppose for some triggers it would be suitable.

As I understand, you have to make all triggers preemptive to work.

--

Peter Bozek