Hi Bernd,

I ran into a similar situation with Proposal and Project numbers. My
decision was to not give the number out until they saved the record.
This prevented people from using the number elsewhere (say for
purchasing, etc) without a saved record in the system.

dave
On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 12:46 AM Bernd Fröhlich via 4D_Tech
<4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> Pat Bensky:
>
> > The important thing is that all record cancellations go through a
> > *CancelRecord* method.
> > I created a [SpareRecordNumbers] table which contains 3 fields: unique id,
> > table number, and spare record number
>
> > As I said, it hasn't been thoroughly tested yet. So please feel free to
> > chime in if you can see any flaws!
>

> I have a similar system for invoice numbers.
> Works perfectly in theory but in real life once or twice a year we got a
> missing invoice number.
> Took me some time to figure out how it got lost (very obvious, once you know):
>
> User starts writing the invoice - gets a number through the system.
> User goes home, leaving the invoice open.
> User is disconnected, so the number is never returned.
>
> Now I look for lost number on every restart and if I find one I put it in the
> recycling bin.
> Never lost a number since.
>
> Greetings from Germany,
> Bernd Fröhlich