There are other options which may be more attractive if you are willing to put
more work in your synchronization code. I did something like this years ago
before UUIDs existed. You need to be able to identify shared records (which can
be a UUID field without it being the primary key) and then update the foreign
keys with the right integer values as they are transferred into the target
database.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.