I should have said - I've googled it myself and found the suggestions
about  clearing the Excel/Office clipboard.  I've tried clearing the temp
folder and the clipboard items from Excel.  It did not help.

We've seen this problem with the rdpclip.exe process in remote desktop
sessions, and I've heard of it showing up with TeamViewer, Delphi, and
third party clipboard managers.
If you exit 4D, and keep copying in Excel, it stops happening, so it is
definitely related to 4D, if not caused by 4D.
The bottom line is that this happens consistently for a customer, and they
know that if they exit 4D it stops happening, so they expect us to find a
solution.

Thanks,

Jim