Polling does not have to be an immediate request/response. See long polling:

https://www.pubnub.com/blog/2014-12-01-http-long-polling/

With websockets your are going to have a connection open all the time anyway,
so long polling is no more resource intensive. I would not use it for the
public web, but for 50 to 100 clients on a local network it seems pretty
straight forward.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.