We've been dealing with this issue with regard to converting HTML we generate
from 4D to MS Word DOCX, and in the process, we ended up with a nice
multi-format conversion tool that supports PDF as well. For years we've been
using a free Windows desktop app called MultiDoc Converter by a developer in
Germany. We needed to convert XML and HTML to DOCX and were looking for a
plugin for 4D to handle it. I contacted the developer and he sold us a command
line EXE application version of the same software that we can call from 4D via
Launch External Process. The syntax is super simple:

HTML to DOCX:
Launch External Process ("C:\\temp\\convertdoc.exe c:\\temp\\*.htm
c:\\temp\\*.docx /overwrite")

HTML to PDF:
Launch External Process ("C:\\temp\\convertdoc.exe c:\\temp\\*.htm
c:\\temp\\*.pdf /overwrite")

It converts to and from HTML, XML, DOC, DOCX, ePub, ODT, and PDF (although you
can only convert TO PDF, not From).

His website is here if you're interested:
http://www.multidoc-converter.com/en/index.html

Neal Schaefer
Director, Product & Content Management Systems

ABC-CLIO
nschae...@abc-clio.com<mailto:achiff...@abc-clio.com> |
www.abc-clio.com<http://www.abc-clio.com/>