Jeremy,
Progress Component

it would look something like this:

Open progress window("Contacting Server...")
contact_server-Method
Update Progress window("Signing in...")
signin_method
Update Progress window("Getting obligations...")
get_obligation_method
Update Progress window("Submitting Data...")
submit_Data_method

of course you can issue the start & updates from within the appropriate
methods.
The above is just an outline.

Progress can show either :
a fill line (x% complete)
or
a barber pole (computer is working, duration unknown)

both are platform specific and so look appropriate for either a Mac or
a PC

Chip
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 10:00:37 +0000, Jeremy Roussak via 4D_Tech wrote:
> I’d like to give feedback about the process of a multi-step task -
> something like
>
> Contacting server…
> Signing in…
> Getting obligations…
> Submitting data…
> Done.
>
> appearing one line at a time.
>
> Updating a text field in my process’s own window won’t work, as I
> don’t leave the process and no form events are received while the
> task is under way. Another process, with a global variable and CALL
> PROCESS(-1), perhaps?
>
> I’m sure this must have been done often before and I don’t want to
> re-invent the wheel. Any suggestions gratefully received.
>
> Jeremy

Gas is for washing parts
Alcohol is for drinkin'
Nitromethane is for racing