Hi there

We first saw many of these symptoms with v16R6 using the new network layer.
Before that the only previous 4D version we'd used for a long time was v13.6
which didn't have the new network layer.

Anyway, using v16R6 with the new network layer, we did get mass disconnections
occurring and also seeing the Admin window changing the Accept/Reject by
itself.  So after a mass disconnection, new connections couldn't be made.  At
least that's what we initially thought.  It turned out that if you waited long
enough (several minutes), connections would again be allowed.  The network
layer somehow "resetting" itself, maybe.  Don't know.

We also noticed that at the point of these mass disconnections there would
usually be an entry in the Windows Application event log.  The log entry had
one single "japanese" looking character.

In the end, 4D figured out a possible cause through some diagnostic logs they
got from another customer.  The reference for the issue was ACI0098997.  It was
fixed in v17 HF4 and obviously also fixed in v17.1.  We had already begun our
work to begin moving our client base from v16R6 onto v17, so we expedited this
transition more quickly to take advantage of this and other fixes (and
improvements) available in v17.

Whilst the issue was fixed by 4D, the actual problem is caused by 4D Server
receiving an incomplete set of packets from one or more 4D Remotes.  This could
be due to any number of potential network or client machine issues.  In
summary, the 4D main thread was being blocked waiting for these incomplete
packets to arrive and would eventually time out and resume its process
(meanwhile all connected clients had already disconnected).  As I understand
it, the change made by 4D was to build in a very short delay waiting on
incomplete incoming packet sets.

I don't know whether ACI0098997 got implemented in v16.x as we never used the
v16.x strand.

Since implementing v17.1, these new network layer disconnection issues have
stopped, AFAIK.

Best regards

Keith White
Synergist Express Ltd, UK.