In addition to Douglas and Armin's replies:

There are seven ways to set colors in AreaList Pro, using numbers or strings.
See the v9 manual on page 123:
http://www.e-node.net/ftp/AreaListPro/9.9.5_Previous_version/AreaListPro_Manual.pdf

And, as Douglas mentioned, the alpha channel (transparency) is fully supported…

Tim: you could also give a try to CalendarSet (www.e-node.net/cs), which does
this automatically (and supports drag and drop from/to AreaList Pro).

Regards,
--
Philippe Ganter
www.e-node.net