Thanks for your post Kirk.

The guy I spoke to seemed to have it the other way around - the VM’s had 4-12
cores and the “metal” about 32.

He also was of the categorical opinion that the only way to really keep
applications “isolated” from each other (i.e. not bring everything else down
when they crashed) was to give each mission critical application or service its
own VM.

When I put to him “what about the natural O/S level multi-threading” he felt
there were too many vulnerabilities and mentioned especially the “crypto
viruses” and the Intel multi-threading bug. His approach was basically - if
your VM needs ore resources then we can simply allocated more. He wasn’t really
bothered by the idea of applications that were multi-threaded internally
because it’s all the one big bucket and if something inside the bucket needs
more power then just make the bucket bigger.

Peter