Hi Kirk,

Very interesting.

Here are my experiences on running a 4D v17R5 server, client on Mac and windows:

If you remember my presentation on the 2018 summit (with the SVG charts for
temperature mapping), that is the one running on it.

First setup: t2.micro on AWS, smallest possible and free ;-)
Pros:
Very reliable
good for prototyping
handling: quite ok, which has surprised me since it has only 1GB RAM ( ! )
Selection to array / array to selection: tested with + 100.000 records, not to
bad (seconds rather than minutes)
Lists are displayed in listboxes, using fields. Display is rather immediate.
Detail forms load within 2 to 10 seconds, depending on how many queries in it

Cons:
bandwidth not always sufficient, which drops handling to a crawl, and also
causes big delays when accessing the instance with RDP

2nd setup: m5.large, 8GB RAM, 2 cores. 160$/month
Pros:
Very reliable
much better handling due to guaranteed bandwidth
a *lot* faster than the t2.micro, very workable

I also put 2 RDP users on it, because the server license includes 2 CALS. Works
even better, even on a Mac!

I studied what it would take to have more RDP users, but there, I get lost a
little bit.
From what I understood, I would need an RDP gateway, so another AWS instance,
and then buy additional CALS for RDP.
That sounds quite expensive…

The other thing I tried recently is S3, because one of my applications manages
a lot (+ 1,000,000) of documents.

There is a 4Dsummit example that manages all the S3 stuff: very impressive!
Storing and retrieving documents has never been so easy and fast. Cost is
affordable (by EU standards ;-) )

I would love to here other AWS experiences.

Regards,

Rudy Mortier
Two Way Communications bvba