Eric,
" In one case, I clicked the Continue button after each successive error
dialog. "
Did you note the method, line number and type of error? That's exactly the
information you need. And - was that on the server or on a client?

These sorts of problems are incredibly frustrating until you get a handle
on it. But if you are getting error messages there is information there
that will help you.