If we keep discussing semantics (get it?), we'll get nowhere, so I'm pulling
this
back out to some more broad points that may be worth considering before
we all fall out over the mailing list again.

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 10:10:20AM +0000, Robert McWilliam wrote:
> Sorry for not getting back to this sooner. Work and drinking beer seem
> to have consumed all my time for the past few days.
>
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015, at 03:21 PM, Iain R. Learmonth wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 08, 2015 at 02:12:39PM +0000, Robert McWilliam wrote:
> > > What is the objection to hosting it on garioch?
>
> Resource issues:
> >   * Semantic MediaWiki has an RDF backend. RDF is not resource
> >     friendly and adequate room should be allowed for the triplestore
> >     to grow.
> >   * The cost incurred to bring garioch up to a specification where it
> >     would not lead to increased page load times and potential crashes
> >     where resource limits are reached would not be insignificant.
> >   * We have had issues when uploading high resolution images to the
> >     wiki on garioch as not enough memory has been available to perform
> >     image thumbnailing, so resources need to be allowed for this.
>
> We can get more resources. EIther upgrading garioch or getting another
> server. Andy's link to Linode put the cost of that at $10/month for the
> spec you said was currently needed, possibly rising to $20/month as the
> wiki grows.
>
> I think we should pay that to keep the wiki under space control if we do
> decide to use semantic mediawiki.

I'm all for community owned resoruces with an admin team, and
last I spoke to irl about this he agreed that was a good idea.

> Security issues:
> >   * Semantic MediaWiki is a complex PHP application and as such will,
> >     from time to time, have remotely exploitable vulnerabilities.
> >   * garioch currently hosts our mail and DNS systems. These, if
> >     compromised, have far greater potential for causing reputational
> >     harm than the wiki.
> >   * As far as possible, we should also be keeping membership data away
> >     from any potential security issues.
>
> If the risk of compromise is this high I'd be more inclined towards not
> using it.

Judging by last night's doorbot fun, we've got bigger security issues
than whether complicated software may or may not theoretically have
bugs. We should probably choose our battles closer to home.
Sandboxing/separation of major services is probably a wise plan though.

> >   * Currently, the space enjoys me paying for hackr. I pay for it and
> >     maintain it for the benefit of all space members.
>
> I'm not sure what this is doing on this list? The wiki can't be moved
> elsewhere because you're being generous?

It's worth considering at this point the occasional discussions about
the current location of hackhub/etc, how well encrypted data in transit
is and how/who owns the box the current incarnation works on. Again,
battle and their location relative to home.

Is it worth the space adopting hackr, or something similar, to run
essential services on? Coming to Tony's point on democratising IT -
maybe we could have a dedicated server that both gives our memberbase
value and runs the vital services. Implementation is a separate
discussion for further down the road.

Personally, I think the idea behind hackr is a great - a free shell for
all members alongside webspace and databases. It gives space members
somewhere safe to experiment and learn about *nix based OSes, websites
and the world of technology beyond what they've experienced. I started
off on a similar system, silenceisdefeat.com, and that's a large part of
what's become my digital ideology and passions.

If this was a perk of membership to the space, alongside other serives
(xmpp? email?)  that would be a huge value add for some people and
potentially help introduce new people to new things, or just give them
the space to play, learn and understand some of the things that others
are passionate about.

Things and stuff, stuff and things.

Have a delightful Tuesday!

Hx