On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 12:58:09PM +0100, Tony Travis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Brexit and Covid-19 have wreaked havoc on my business plans with Luca in
> Italy and I'm reconsidering if I should ship six servers that I've built
> to Italy or host them here in Scotland?
>
> The servers are Dual 8-core (16 thread) Opteron 6380 + 128GiB RAM, OS on
> a 500GB SSD RAID1 and 4@8TB on an LSI9211-4i with an LSI9211-8i to allow
> for expansion of another 8@SATA3 disks.
>
> I discussed this briefly with Iain and Tom, but I would welcome any
> ideas or suggestions: Plan 1 is to host them in my garage, which I've
> done before - I've just contacted Converged to see if they can provide
> FTTP here, but I'm not optimistic (currently I'm on PlusNet FTTC/VDSL).
>
> Is it a realistic proposition for me to stike a deal with the Hackspace,
> where, for example, 57North hosts my servers in the Space in return for
> me providing login accounts and free VM's to 57North members?
>
> I talked to Tom about running OpenStack on these servers as a Hackspace
> project, but just now it runs Ubuntu-MATE 20.04 LTS and LizardFS SDS.
>
> Just asking ;-)

Hi Tony,

I think this would be a great thing for the space to do, espectially
considering the two ISP that are providing us service.

I think that we would need to run this by Isobel at AAOD though. This is
likely to be a substantial increase to the currect electricity bill. We
would also need to figure out how to rack these machine reasonably
securely.

- Tom