On 25/07/2021 13:35, Tom Jones wrote:
[...]
I think this would be a great thing for the space to do, espectially
considering the two ISP that are providing us service.

Hi, Tom.

Thanks for your support :-)

I think that we would need to run this by Isobel at AAOD though. This is
likely to be a substantial increase to the currect electricity bill. We
would also need to figure out how to rack these machine reasonably
securely.

They are pedestal (tower) servers in (quiet) Fractal Design Define XL R2 cases, not rack-mounted servers and they are quiet enough to be run in an office environment taking into account what Rob said about the 2kW heat load (i.e. most of the power consumed ends up as heat). It might be worth mentioning to Isobel that in the winter this might actually reduce the heating bill.

I'm coming into the University on Thu 29 Jul, to bring back one of our servers that I upgraded at home because of Covid-19 restrictions, if you want to meet up for a coffee?

Bye,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.tra...@minke-informatics.co.uk