"Liguangpeng (Roc, Network Technology Laboratory)" wrote:
    > Thanks for the clarification. Please see below:
    >> If I insert a new device in the tree, then all of the tree below that
    >> device has to renumber.

    > Technically saying, it may exist but it seems weird to insert a new
    > device in the middle of the tree.

Let's say that I have a device with four physical ports.
Port 3 is being used to speak to the rank-1.
Port 2 and Port 4 are being used to speak to downstream systems.
Port 1 is empty.  New device goes on port 1.

Isn't that a renumber too?
Maybe there was a device on port 1 before, and it was removed.

    > When a user wants a new device, a
    > normal way is append them to the network at the end of an existing
    > rank.

This is going to be a total fail once remote hands are involved.
The only use case we have so far is sensors in a data center

    >> I also think that it can happen if I add a new device to an existing
    >> rank.

    > No, as long as there is enough address for this new device.

And if there isn't?

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )