> I'd like to ask a question, but before I do, feel I should say, I've
> been on this list long enough to understand that Plan 9 is a research
> vessel, not an OS that's targeted at commercial deployment...

i can't agree with this label "research os" if you mean
to imply that it's not stable or somehow unfinished.

i run the company's infastructure on plan 9 and our main product
— that is my paycheck — depends on plan 9.

i spend a lot less time fixing things now than i did when i
ran a different company's infastructure on aix and linux.
i also suffer much less downtime.

on the other hand, if by "research os" you mean simple
and flexable, then i couldn't agree more.

> That being said, while huge scalability is certainly research-worthy,
> does anyone actually run anything on Plan 9 that needs or would
> otherwise benefit from 8+ CPUs and more than a few GB's of RAM?

this style product will easily scale to that level

        http://tinyurl.com/5e3q9p       [coraid.com]

the real question is can you find a big enough
chassis.

if that doesn't compel you, running upas imap server for ~40 users
with 1.3gb of inboxes might.  since upas has the bad manners to load
the entire mailbox, we're using about 90% of the 3.5gb bios will spare
us in 32bit mode.  i also watched it at 100% cpu for a solid hour
yesterday.

it's embarassing that mail is such a hog.  this is our scalability plan:

        /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/src/nupas/