> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:52 PM,  <lu...@proxima.alt.za> wrote:
>> Uriel is renowned for demanding tools to be released on principle,
>> without him having any practical need for them.
>
>  I don't see why uriel having a practical need for them or not is
> relevant.

Well, let me try to explain it.  Uriel is _not_ an elected
representative of the community he makes no bone about despising.
Everyone on 9fans (and I presume on the IRC channel) is perfectly
capable of standing up for themselves and I, no doubt amongst others,
take exception to Uriel (mis)representing my views.

Also, Uriel is not even a Plan 9 user.  How could he possibly evaluate
anyone's need for a theoretical piece of software?  Or, for that
matter, evaluate the risk of releasing it prematurely?  As for the
alternative question: "does /anyone/ in the community have a practical
need for the tool?", the answer is self-evident: Ron needed the
software and Ron got it, whatever it took him to achieve this.  Can
you spot the difference?

As for those who did not know about it, why would they have a need for
it?  And why should they be expecting it to be available?  Contrary to
Uriel's statements, those who have had something to contribute have
been able to do so, it is only in the realm of "helping" Bell Labs
that cards have been kept close to Bell Labs' chest and it is known
that Bell Labs does not subscribe to the "software development bazaar"
philosophy, so that should come as no surprise.  Me, I am grateful
that the current release of the Plan 9 kernel is not encumbered with
partial changes to allow unknown parties to experiment with a 64-bit
kernel.  Perhaps if you think about it you will see my side of it.

Uriel does not "raise his voice", he whines.  And he makes it sound
like he's whining on everyone's behalf when it isn't even on his own
behalf.  That makes him a politician in my book and that's quite
enough said.

++L