On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 4:06 AM, C H Forsyth <fors...@vitanuova.com> wrote:
>> "Alright, my x86-64 board arrived! I wanted to try out some other
>>OSes, what have we here... hmm Plan 9, seems interesting... aw, no
>>native port! Guess I'll try losethos."
>
> the current amd64 port was just to get going, and it also
> checked that the compiler could compile a running kernel.
> it has enough restrictions that you wouldn't use it for
> `production' use (in the Plan 9 sense!), and in the example context you
> gave, it would just lead to mockery.

 Ah. Proof of concept is probably still interesting to someone taking
up the baton, though I guess in this instance they'd be more
interested in what was learned from the prototype in terms of the
changes that need to be made.
 Not that I'm aware of anyone gunning for that job, but I'm still not
seeing the downside of having the code out there. You're not in much
of a position to mock if you download code marked proof of concept
expecting it to be production ready...
-sqweek