eris.discor...@gmail.com (Eris Discordia) writes:

>> Let me be a little pedantic.
>
> The 9fans know given the haphazard nature of a hobbyist's knowledge I
> am extremely bad at this, but then let me give it a try.
>
>> FYI, it's been Lisp for a while.
>
> As long as Britannica and Merriam-Webster call it LISP I don't think
> calling it LISP would be strictly wrong. Has LISt Processing become
> stigmatic in Lisp/LISP community?

Just the orthography.

> Indeed, my only encounter with LISP has been Scheme and through a
> failed attempt to read SICP.

Next time you get a hankering to see what all the fuss is about, you
could try a book like Practical Common Lisp (which can be read online at
http://gigamonkeys.com/book/ ). SICP is a good book, but it's geared
toward introducing fundamental programming concepts like abstraction
with a minimum of language features, which is necessarily at odds with
getting stuff done in a straightforward way.

> If you have a scrawny x86 on your desktop and are trying to implement,
> say, a bubble sort--yes, the notorious bubble sort, it's still the
> first thing that comes to a learner's mind--it seems C is quite apt
> for expressing your (embarrassing) solution in terms of what is
> available on your platform. Loops, arrays, swapping, with _minimal_
> syntactic distraction. Simple, naive algorithms should end up in
> simple, immediately readable (and refutable) code. Compare two
> implementations and decide for yourself:
>
> <http://en.literateprograms.org/Bubble_sort_(Lisp)>
> <http://en.literateprograms.org/Bubble_sort_(C)>

I must say that the Lisp version is much simpler and clearer to me,
while the C version is mildly baffling. Does that make me a wizard who
can hardly read simple C code, or is it just a matter of what you and I
are respectively more comfortable with?

>> The main benefits it had in AI were features that came from garbage
>> collection and interactive development.
>
> More importantly, LISt Processing which used to be an element of the
> expert systems approach to AI and which is now defunct (as a way of
> making machines intelligent, whatever that means). While "expert
> systems" continue to exist the word causes enough reverb of failure to
> be replaced by other buzzwords: knowledge-based systems, automated
> knowledge bases, and whatnot.

Don't assume that just because Lisp is useful for list processing that
it's not useful for a wide variety of problem-solving approaches. I've
seen many people get hung up on lists (and recursion), thinking that
they are somehow the essence of Lisp programming.