At Thu, 13 Jan 2011 14:37:52 -0700 (MST),
Duke Normandin wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, John Floren wrote:
>
> > I think you mentioned in another message that you have a headless box
> > available; I recommend temporarily hooking that up to a monitor,
> > keyboard, and mouse, then installing a standalone cpu/auth/file server
> > on it. Once you're done, you can try using drawterm from Windows or
> > Linux or whatever you have to test the configuration.
>
> I just checked - it's a 166Mhz P-I with 98M RAM and 4.5G HDD. Made a
> good dedicated mail server. May not have enough gonads for a Plan 9
> server though.

That should do well enough for a basic Plan 9 cpu/auth/file server,
although you may wish to forgo Venti given the small RAM and drive.

> > If the configuration is good, you can go ahead and install Plan 9 as
> > a terminal on your spare partition, or just keep working from
> > drawterm, which is what I usually do (the graphics performance is
> > better).
>
> So I can install Plan 9 as a client/terminal from the CD! But I
> wouldn't waste a 30G BSD partition on that. Which is where I was going
> to put Plan 9. I might just wipe the 4G Native Oberon partition, and
> put the Plan 9 terminal there. Although this box that I use
> multi-boots, why bother installing Plan 9 as a terminal on a dedicated
> partition, when I can connect from Linux using `drawterm' or `9vx'.
>
> Thanks for the input!
> --
> Duke

I've never bothered to install Plan 9 as a boot option on my desktops;
I prefer to leave them booted into Linux and connect via drawterm,
so as not to disturb my open applications.

On my old laptop, I kept a Plan 9 terminal install because that was
actually quite convenient, and I could boot using the server's root
from most anywhere.

John