On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, John Floren wrote:

> At Thu, 13 Jan 2011 14:37:52 -0700 (MST),
> Duke Normandin wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, John Floren wrote:
> >
> > > I think you mentioned in another message that you have a headless box
> > > available; I recommend temporarily hooking that up to a monitor,
> > > keyboard, and mouse, then installing a standalone cpu/auth/file server
> > > on it. Once you're done, you can try using drawterm from Windows or
> > > Linux or whatever you have to test the configuration.
> >
> > I just checked - it's a 166Mhz P-I with 98M RAM and 4.5G HDD. Made a
> > good dedicated mail server. May not have enough gonads for a Plan 9
> > server though.
>
> That should do well enough for a basic Plan 9 cpu/auth/file server,
> although you may wish to forgo Venti given the small RAM and drive.

What is Venti again?

[snip]

> I've never bothered to install Plan 9 as a boot option on my desktops;
> I prefer to leave them booted into Linux and connect via drawterm,
> so as not to disturb my open applications.

The more I think about it, and the more I understand what Plan9 is,
the more I'm convinced that hanging a dedicated Plan9 box off my
router, and connecting to it from anywhere inside the subnet, is the
way to go.

> On my old laptop, I kept a Plan 9 terminal install because that was
> actually quite convenient, and I could boot using the server's root
> from most anywhere.

You must have had a dedicated server box as well, then?
--
Duke