> can you explain why is this not viable?  what essential bits would be
> missing if hg/git/whatever is not tightly integrated into the process?

Maybe I didn't explain well: self-contained Plan 9 does not provide
code review tools.  Whereas I can follow (I have learnt to) the
conventions of codereview (as used in Go, by whatever name), I do not
expect less disciplined approaches to be as appealing and successful
as codereview, maybe that's just me, but I am speaking for myself and
measuring the 9fans community by the same metric.

Ergo: Plan 9 does not (yet?) contain sufficient tools to be
self-sustaining.  We're human and we're subjective individuals.  We
have a very weak bond holding this community together, consisting, at
least in my case, more of what other OSes are missing than of any
loyalty to what we have.  Whatever we deploy to provide a platform for
progress needs to be stronger than the criticism that will be levelled
at it; it needs firm buy-in by the community.  I, for one, would need
some hard sell to consider patch and its offspring as sufficient and
much more to convince me that it would be technically superior to
codereview, others may well be even more hard-assed than I am, and
their skills and contributions are too important to sacrifice.

Strong words?  Definitely, 9fans has survived past worse and will
again, so they need not be taken to heart.  But we do risk falling too
far behind to ever be of any significance and that would be our loss
as well as a loss for the entire IT community.

Again, I'm being subjective, by all means keep throwing your stones.
A thin skin here is not going to help.

++L