> 1. "/n/sources/contrib/fgb/root/rc/bin/contrib/install fgb/contrib"
>      Why do I need to know about "fgb", why not
> "/n/sources/packages/contrib/rc/bin/contrib/install contrib ?
>
> 2. bichued/hg -- 1.0.2
>      jas/hg-src
>      mjl/hgfs
>      stallion/mercurial -- 2.2.3
>      Which one now?

this is no different than any other system.  there are a number of
versions of ssl floating around google code, bitbucket and the like.

by the way, jas' python follows the tip, so it might be interesting.

> 3. What about
> http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/software_for_Plan_9/ ?
>      What about the broken links there?
>      Can we still save that software?
>      Archive.org?

you may edit the wiki yourself to correct these issues.

>        Maybe this is the right moment to ask such questions.
>        For years, Plan9 was hard to install on common hardware, lacking
> drivers (I tried more than once and failed).
>        This all changed with Raspberry Pi.
>        There is a good, stable (in the medium/long term) platform that
> costs next to nothing for people to play with Plan9.

i agree with this.  many thanks to richard for putting this together.

>        - having a useable (like useable in 2014) Web browser
>        - having a useable (or having one at all) video/media player

this is an interesting problem.  keeping the core simple is in conflict
with the massive amount of code required for a usable-in-2014 browser.
i don't have a solution.

>        - having an SSH2 server (there is one in 9atom, but I didn't see
> it in the stock Plan9). Are you sure it doesn't have the Heartbleed?

i'm sure it doesn't have heartbleed.  code for that sort of renegotiation
was never written.

>        - having a useable driver for touch pads or 2-button-plus-wheel
> mice. I couldn't find a 3-button mouse these days, and  clicking on the
> wheel is awful.

i agree.  if you come up with a patch solving this problem, it will be
strongly considered for merging.

>        - up-to-date versions of modern programming languages. I miss
> Ruby a lot.
>        Wouldn't that be nice?

we might differ on this point.  :-)