Hi Eric,

Thanks for your answers! They are really a good start for me with Plan9.

So, you and the others convinced me that a source management system for the main system is not really necessary. What's left from my initial questions is if it won't be a bad idea to have an integrated contrib (or packages) system.

Refined proposal:

1. Gather the good packages from the user's directories and other sources on the net into a central system, like the core Plan9.
    There is some work implied to check licenses and get permissions.

2. Someone should filter the subsequent submissions, just the same as with the core Plan9 (work:).
    If you guys don't like source control systems, let patch(1) be it.

3. Set up a maintenance routine for the whole package system, like regular builds on all architectures, not to speak of automated tests. Packages that fall out of the maintenance routine shall be removed after a while.

4. What could also happen in the long run is that some software is ported from POSIX/Ape/X11 to the native Plan9 interfaces.

What do you think, 9fans?