On Wed, Oct 7, 2026 at 10:21 AM <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 06, 2026, at 4:48 PM, Dan Cross wrote:
> > What makes you think this is power related?
>
> "no data from device" -that made me think that maybe the mouse wasn't getting 
> -enough- power, and so not generating any information.

I don't think that follows.

> Which might point to corroded contacts?

Could be! But maybe not.

The problem is that it could be any number of things.  It might be an
issue with the driver, something electrical, a timing issue, an SI
issue, or something else entirely.

We don't have enough information to make anything other than a guess.
I'm mystified about where you came up with the 1.5A number you
mentioned earlier.

> If you folks really think this should be working, maybe either buying a 
> brand-new adapter might solve the problem.  Of course, if the problem is the 
> mouse, well, I'm not sure anybody is selling brand-new ball-mice anymore  -_- 
>  ;-)

I think what most of us are saying, and certainly what I'm saying, is
that the evidence in hand is not sufficient to derive a conclusion
about what might be wrong.

I'd probably try to source a 3-button USB mouse, like the one that
Bakul suggested.

> > Did you try just plugging in the adapter without the mouse and/or keyboard 
> > connected?
>
> I didn't, because it would never have occurred to me that there was any point 
> in doing such a thing.

Well, suppose it is a problem with the RPi not supplying enough power;
how would you know whether it was the mouse, or the adapter?

> I can tell you that I have now tried the tests you suggest, and the results 
> are not all the same.  The ordinary mouse/keyboard thing that I plug in 
> always works fine.  The adapter without the mouse usually prints the first 
> error, but not always the last, and not always the first 5 times.  And 
> sometimes more than 5.  That was unexpected.  When it's plugged in with the 
> mouse, I'm tempted to say it fails completely more often.  I have tried all 
> the ports, multiple times.  I might be convinced that this is a hardware 
> issue, on the part of the mouse and/or adapter, but it works perfectly when 
> plugged into the laptop.  Hence the questions about current.

As I mentioned above, simply working on machine A and not on machine B
does not immediately imply a power issue.  Does the laptop tell you
how much current the port is drawing when these things are plugged in?

In your earlier email, you mentioned 1.5 Amps; that's a _lot_ of
current for a mouse and a rinky dink microcontroller translating PS/2
inputs to USB HID.

        - Dan C.

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: 
https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Td94105a3d5018162-Md3859d3ef3b530f0cbfbae58
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

Reply via email to