I. Oppenheim wrote:

| We know you don't like it, but there are others who do
| like the !...! notation, including myself. And since I
| like your macro facility as well, I propose to include
| both features in the upcomming ABC standard.
|
| Is that acceptable to you Phil? Do other people on this
| list agree?
|
| Regarding the bangs, they are really necessary because
| one should be able to insert symbols without first
| assigning them to a macro. Yes, I know this looks ugly,
| but only when a symbol is used numerous times is it
| worthwile to first assign it to a macro. Phil, I hope
| you can live with that.

It seems to me that in some cases, having the !...! in  the
abc  is  better  than  defining  a single-char symbol.  For
example, !da Capo! is something that musicians  understand,
and if it's there in the abc, they'll know what to do.  But
if you  replace  it  with  a  cryptic  single-char  symbol,
they'll  have  to  pause,  locate  the  definition  in  the
headers, they find their way back to continue reading. This
strikes  me  as  clumsy, and something that would seriously
interfere with sight reading.

Now, people who think that abc should always be  translated
to  staff  notation  might  wonder  who would ever read abc
directly.  But there are, in  fact,  people  who  do  this.
Recall  that  Chris  developed  abc  as a handwritten music
notation before he wrote abc2mtex,  and  he  read  the  abc
directly because that was the only way to do it.  I read it
myself sometimes, because when I'm  reading  email  and  it
contains  a  tune,  that's faster than extracting the tune,
converting to ps and starting gv.

So I'd favor keeping the textual music annotations  in  the
!...!  format,  and using single chars for ornaments used a
lot in a piece of music.  Even there, I wouldn't consider a
U:   line  a  great favor to readers.  They'd have to first
study the definitions in the header, and  try  to  remember
which is which when they encounter one in the abc.

We need periodic reminders that  abc  was  intended  to  be
readable by mere humans, and this is one of its strengths.

(Which reminds me - Do you know what's the longest  English
word with only one vowel?  ;-)