From: "Guido Gonzato" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> My personl view is that extensions are always welcome if the make
life
> easier, but calling them 'standard' is only possible if/when they
are
> actually implemented by a large number of applications. Remember,
> believe in 'de facto' standards.

In the case of the m: macro given by Phil, the solution is easy.
Just document the existence of m: as something that goes beyond the
standard (if you don't want to include it), and programs can either
use it or not.

The key is (in this example at least) that the music makes
syntactical sense if you ignore the macro.  If all macros are like
that and the existence of m: is documented, it will ensure that
macros do not break programs which ignore them.

Dave
David Webber
Author of MOZART the music processor for Windows -
http://www.mozart.co.uk
Member of the North Cheshire Concert Band
http://www.northcheshire.org.uk