Arent Storm writes:
| If © were to be mandatory to enable copyright at all, the convention would
| have to define the codingsystem also...

But very few, if any legislators in any country  are  going
to understand what a "codingsystem" is. They mostly (except
for Al Gore ;-) have no clues whatsoever about what goes on
inside a computer.  Computers are what the secretaries use.

Legislators know what a copyright sign is. It's that little
'c' inside a circle. That's all they need to know, and it's
all they ever will know.

One of the reasons that governments have standards  bureaus
is to handle problems like this after the fact.  "Hmmm, the
idiots that we elected to  Parliament  just  passed  a  law
defining  the  value  of pi; how can we phrase the official
standards doc so this doesn't cause all our bridges to come
tumbling down when the first seagull lands on them?"