On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Bernard Hill wrote:

> 1. In the table of ABC fields and their usage you have U:user defined
> still saying !trill! rather than +trill+
Fixed.

> 2. In the section O: origin the "separator" is miss-spelled.
Fixed.

> 3. Shouldn't +..+ be deprecated for chords?
It has been deprecated since ages. If people think it
is useful, I will add a note about it.

> 1. Section Ties and Slurs: What does it mean to have a slur ending and
> starting on the same note? eg (E)

You may just ignore it. However, packages that support
Gregorian notation (i.e. Barfly) will attach meaning to
this.

> 2. What's a "roll" (+roll+ in the decorations)? I've checked 6 music
> dictionaries and books on notation and the only rolls mentioned are for
> timpani or other percussion and notated as either "tr" or a tremolo.

It seems to have something to do with Irish music.
There is a picture of it in the symbols table.

> 3. I don't understand the sentence in K:Key which reads "It is possible
> to use the format K:<tonic> <accidentals> to explicitly define all the
> accidentals of a mode: K:D b e ^f". But see my comment (2) below.

An unfortunate typo. It should have been: K:D _b _e ^f
Fixed.

> 4. Continuation of input lines. The last sentence says "A double
> backslash (...) does not continue the current line but is interpreted as
> an actual backslash". But since an actual backslash means "continue the
> current line" this makes no sense. If a line is terminated with \\ then
> I would take that to mean the same as \.

No, an actual backslash is a backslash that is
interpreted as text, rather than as a continuation
mark.

E.G:
W: this line ends in a back-shlash\\

Of course, this will only make sense in string fields,
and not in general, so I will take this comment out
of this section to prevent further confusion.
Fixed.

> 5. No mention of midline
What do you mean?

> 1. No ability to change clef in non-voiced music, the clef change is
> only in the voicing section. This means you can't write music for viola
> or cello.

Please explain me what non-voiced music is, and how we
should deal with it.

> Following the example in in "K: Key" that "K:Dphr ^f" would give a *key
> sig* of 2 flats and 1 sharp, this imples that the previously-quoted
> example "K:D =c" would have me put a key sig of F#, C# and then Cnat.
> Which if course is nonsense.

Nope.

There are to supported syntaxes:
[A] K:<tonic><mode> <accidentals>
[B] K:<tonic> <accidentals>

Syntax A will _modify_ the key signature of the mode
given, rather than simply append accidentals to it.
Example:

K:Dmaj =c  % will give F# Cnat

Syntax B, which only contains the name of the tonic,
and does not imply a mode, will allow you to spell out
a key signature in full:

K:D ^f =c % same meaning as above

Note that in syntax B the tonic may be basically
ignored by the parser; the tonic is only there to make
the notation comprehensible to other users.

 Groeten,
 Irwin Oppenheim
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 ~~~*