I. Oppenheim wrote:
I hereby publicly release the third draft revision of
the ABC 2.0 standard:
<snip>
Please help me with identifying the errors and the
mistakes in the draft.

First of all: Guido, Irwin: well done!

1. Information Fields section: can the additional notes on fields be put in alphabetical order?

2. Note lengths: seems to be incomplete. There's no mention of things like A3/2, only in the broken rhythm example. A3/2 should obviously be parsed, but how far should an abc program go? Is A1531/3001 valid or not? Best to clarify this and define what's legal and what not.

3. Ties and slurs: and nested slurs in particular. How should they be parsed? E.g. is

(CD (EF) GA)

the same as
_____
CD EF GA  (i.e. the first slur starts at C and ends at F,
   -----   the second slur starts at E and ends at A)

or
________
CD EF GA (1st slur starts at C and ends at A,
   --     2nd slur starts at E and ends at F)

Here, the second option seems to make more sense to me, but in the example in the standard (CD (E) FG), I would prefer the first interpretation... Please clarify

4. Accompaniment chords: is that a complete enumeration? If so, there's a few missing: sus2, sus4, 6-5, 6-9, e.g. cannot be expressed with the specified syntax.

5. Annotations: "Using the '@' symbol leaves the exact placing of the string to the discretion of the interpreting program." This doesn't help me to understand how to use the @-symbol. Is this not part of the standard? Could you an example be included to clarify things?

6. Clefs: a typo below "transpose=<semitones>": effect instead of affect

7. Deprecated continuations: "the following fragment of code [...] was considered to be equivalent to [...]" but no further explanation. If it is not equivalent anymore, what's the difference? Or is any of the two notations illegal in the new standard? Please clarify.

8. Stylesheet specification: Could you add an example of the use of $1-$4?

--
Bert Van Vreckem                 <http://flanders.blackmill.net/>
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and