>> They are non standard in Western music, but you will
>> find something like [K:D _b _e ^f] often in e.g.
>> Klezmer (Ahavoh Rabboh) or Arabic music (Maqam Hedjaz).
> My first thing will always be to remove any non standard
> explicit accidentals, replacing them with inline accidentals
> and inform the player textwise that he/she is playing an unusual
> mode/key. [...]
> The mode/key/accidental stuff is way too complicated for the
> average folk player

Okay, so imagine you're playing a harp-family instrument like the
hammered dulcimer or Turkish kanun.  What you want to know *first*
is what pitches occur in the piece; you do the appropriate tuning
or lever-flipping, and unless the piece has some chromatic bits in
it (which it probably won't if it's standard repertoire for those
instruments) you never want to see an accidental, it would just be
notational noise.

You will do something phenomenologically similar with a microtonally
fretted instrument like the tanbur, or even when beginning a vocal
piece in a microtonal mode; most pieces in the repertoire begin with
a "tuning-up" section in which the fingers or vocal chords settle
in to the set of pitches that will be used in the main body of the
composition.

The explicit signature, without accidentals-that-aren't-really,
models exactly what operations the performer does, in the order
in which they do them.  Which is why it's been standard practice
in Turkish music for a hundred years.