There has been quite a bit of discussion about features which are not
part of standard notation and yet are acceptable in abc.

Fine. But I propose that all such things are NOT implemented in version
2 but wait for version 3. This would include

"strange" key signatures.
N-times repeats ::| etc
(and possibly more I can't think of just now)

If you leave  such constructs in version 2 you are actually inviting
existing music software (such as Sibelius or Finale or any software
which does not have these constructs implemented) never to implement abc
as a format.

But if you *did* persuade just one of the big software companies to
implement abc then just imagine the explosion of abc files out there in
public domain.

I'm probably going to get shot down but I'd like to see what the
reaction here is first.

PS I don't actually *know* that Sib & Fin can't do those constructs, but
the principle stands. I note that Dave Webber of Mozart has been silent
here for a good while and wonder if he has abandoned the projected
implementation. I know that I have certainly been getting cold feet
because of all the new features required.

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Author of Music Publisher system
Music Software written by musicians for musicians
http://www.braeburn.co.uk
Selkirk, Scotland